Application Period: 20th July, to 23rd September, 2022.
The Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) through the Ministry of Technology and Science (MoTS), administers the Strategic Research Fund (SRF). The Fund is implemented by the National Science and Technology Council (NSTC). The SRF was established to support basic and applied scientific Research and Development (R&D) in identified strategic national priority areas. The Fund is further aimed at enhancing research capacity in Zambia. The NSTC is calling for Research Proposals for funding under the Strategic Research Fund 2022 – 2023 funding cycle.
GUIDELINES FOR APPLICATION
- RESEARCH THEMATIC AREAS
Research Proposals must fall within the specified research fields under each thematic area given below. Proposals falling outside these thematic areas and research fields will NOT be considered.
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Improvement in crop, livestock and fish productivity
- Agricultural mechanisation
- Early warning and surveillance systems
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation
- Agriculture, Water and Environment
- Green and renewable energy
- Energy efficiency
- Water harvesting
- Green growth and sustainable environment
- Industry and Mining
- Material science
- Digital Transformation
- Mineral value addition
- Artisanal and small-scale mining technologies
- Biodegradable packaging materials
- Artisanal and Small and medium scale green manufacturing technologies
- Supplementation and micro-nutrients fortification
- Communicable and Non-communicable diseases
- Disease control and prevention
- Indigenous knowledge medicine and systems
FUNDING CEILING AND EXPENSES
The overall indicative amount made available under this call is Eight Hundred Thousand Kwacha only (ZMW800,000.00) per proposal, for the duration of the project.
Only ‘eligible costs’ can be covered under this grant. The categories of costs that are eligible and non-eligible are indicated below:
- Research materials and supplies
- Research equipment and accessories
- Travel and associated costs
- Specialised services
- Intellectual property protection fees
- Dissemination of results and publications
- Institutional Administrative cost at 5% of the total budget
- Monitoring and Evaluation cost at 5% of the total budget
- Salaries and Honoraria for the research team
- Institutional financial management costs such as audit fees
- Insurance costs not related to the project.
- PROJECT DURATION
Successful, approved projects shall commence in January, 2023 and the planned maximum project duration shall not exceed three (3) years.
The Call is open to researchers in public and private R&D institutions and Higher Learning Institutions, that are registered with NSTC in the funding cycle. Individual researchers that are not affiliated to institutions will be required to be affiliated to an NSTC-registered institution. Applications from institutions not registered with NSTC will not be considered.
- Researchers that are Principal Investigators on ongoing SRF-funded projects are not eligible to apply for funding of another project. However, they can participate as part of the research team.
- The research proposals should be practical and focused towards knowledge generation and problem solving in the identified priority research fields.
- Proposals that demonstrate a strong multidisciplinary and collaborative approach among researchers and institutions in Zambia are encouraged.
- Early career researchers, females and differently abled persons are strongly encouraged to apply.
- HOW TO APPLY
Note that applications that are not submitted via the online application system shall not be accepted.
Applicants must read the SRF Guidelines available on the NSTC website for further information before applying.
The closing date for submitting applications is Friday, 23rd September, 2022.
- EVALUATION, REVIEW AND SELECTION OF PROJECTS FOR FUNDING
Proposals will be evaluated and reviewed by independent experts. Selection of projects for funding will be on merit and priority, taking into consideration the following:
- Scientific merit and quality of the proposed research;
- Evidence of the capacity and capability of the research teams and significant contribution to and leadership in the proposed field
- Demonstration of collaboration, inter and multi-disciplinarity of the proposed research
- Originality, innovativeness of the proposed research
- Potential for intellectual property generation, protection and commercialization
- Potential for human capital development for research and innovation
- Potential to have impact
- Consideration for gender and inclusivity dimensions
- Applications that do not meet ALL the requirements stated in this Call and that do not adhere to ALL instructions in the Application Form will not be considered.
- Proposals will be selected on merit and priority and the decision of the Fund Management Committee shall be final.
For further information and inquiries, contact NSTC on:
Telephone: +260-211-255854, E-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org