CALL FOR SCIENTIFIC AND/OR TECHNOLOGICAL INNOVATION PROJECT PROPOSALS FOR FUNDING UNDER THE 2022-2023 SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION YOUTH FUND (STIYF)
Call Opening Date: 20th July, 2022
Call Closing Date: 16th September, 2022
The Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) through the Ministry of Technology and Science (MoTS) administers the Science and Technology Innovation Youth Fund (STIYF). The Fund is implemented by the National Science and Technology Council (NSTC). The Fund is aimed at assisting Zambian youths to develop scientific and/or technological innovations, with specific focus on innovations that are relevant to the creation of wealth and employment.
The NSTC is calling for project proposals on scientific and/or technological innovations for funding under the 2022-2023 STIYF funding cycle.
- Only scientific and/or technological innovations qualify for the Fund.
For the purpose of this Fund, an innovation is “a new or adapted idea, process, product or service that improves a way of doing something and can be commercially viable for the benefit of society”
- The innovations must:
- Address some national priority areas highlighted in the National Development Plan (NDP), Vision 2030 or the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs); such areas as value addition to raw materials, engineering, mining, transport systems and infrastructure, water resources, manufacturing and industry, renewable & alternative energy, human and animal health, agriculture, livestock and fisheries, environment, construction and building, Information and Communication Technology, new and emerging technologies among others.
- be locally developed or adapted and as far as possible utilising local raw materials.
- Please, note that this Fund does not support starting of business ventures/projects; therefore, business plans/proposals such as rearing chickens and other livestock, vegetable growing, opening internet cafés, salons etc., will not be accepted.
- For more information on the requirement, applicants must read the STIYF Guidelines available on the NSTC website (www.nstc.org.zm) and Facebook page .
Applicants must be Zambians, resident in Zambia, aged 35 years or below. Applicants are eligible as individuals or as groups or organisations.
Females and differently abled youths are strongly encouraged to apply.
The funding per approved project shall not exceed Two Hundred and Fifty Thousand Kwacha (ZMW250,000.00) for the period of the project.
DURATION OF THE PROJECT
Successful, approved projects shall commence in January, 2023 and the planned maximum project duration shall not exceed three (3) years.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be submitted via the online NSTC Grant Management System at nstcms.nstc.org.zm. A guide on how to use the system is available on the NSTC website www.nstc.org.zm
Where it is not possible to use the online system, applications must be submitted electronically through E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for submitting applications is Friday, 16th September, 2022.
A copy of the NRC must be submitted for applicants above the age of 16 years. In the case of a minor, the mentor/parent/guardian must submit a copy of their NRC.
EVALUATION, REVIEW AND SELECTION OF PROJECTS FOR FUNDING
Proposals will be evaluated and reviewed by independent experts. Selection of projects for funding will be on merit and priority, taking into consideration the originality, innovativeness, potential for Intellectual Property (IP) generation and potential to have impact.
- Applications that do not meet ALL the requirements stated in this Call and that do not adhere to ALL instructions in the Application Form will not be considered.
- Proposals will be selected on merit and priority and the decision of the Fund Management Committee shall be final.
For further information, contact NSTC on: